INSURGENCY MEGATHREAD - They say freedom aint free, but this game temporarily was.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Prude, Aug 8, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. Prude

Prude The Goodest Goy In The Land
    Staff Member

Insurgency is probably the best PC shooter (ergo the best shooter in general lmbo) on the market right now. My argument in support of that? It's actually fun to play and doesn't feel like a samey, arcade-y bullshit like Call of Duty games, nor a slow paced sperglord slog like Arma (or even Battlefield, I've never liked the environments in those games). It's got some semi-realistic mechanics working in favor of it, including no on-screen crosshairs (sure you can spray, but you gotta use your iron sights or scope to precisely aim) and no minimap. Winning pretty much requires some degree of teamwork. There's no specific "cover" system but the game makes a big deal of using cover effectively and moving with the environment around you in mind. There's also things like suppressing fire (being under sustained fire will penalize your ability to shoot back a bit), relatively accurate magazine handling, and meaningful recoil implemented. Generally can't take more than a couple hits before you go down, but you also kill dudes real quick. The game uses a loadout system that is based on a weight/"point" limit with several loose combat roles having access to varying kinds of guns, weapon attachments, armor, and explosives. There's a bunch of different game modes that I can't be fucked to explain. Despite the air of "hardcore"-ness, the game is really accessible and easy to get in to.

Some background:
    Insurgency was originally a Source engine mod (played the original like 5 years ago when I was on a real Source modding kick) but was recently recreated as it's own standalone game. The premise (do games where you shoot mans REALLY need one?) is you're basically either an (implied) American imperialist ("Security") or a mud race jihadist ("Insurgent") battling it out in the streets of various middle-eastern looking shitholes. The maps, bar a couple, are overwhelmingly urban and the entire game has an element of asymmetry between the sides.

Totalbiscuit becomes harder to take seriously every time I'm exposed to him, but he liked the game and gives it a pretty fair look-over:
    [video=youtube_share;iMxjlHU9u38]http://youtu.be/iMxjlHU9u38[/video]
    This video was made pretty much at release. The devs have since updated it on a very frequent, consistent basis and a free DLC (I believe the second one so far - brings new maps, game modes, etc.) was just released for it for those with the base game (thus the free weekend, I suppose). Also going off this video, I think the game looks a little bit better in more recent updates.

For more information, here's the game's steam page:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880/

2. Prude

Staff Member

Let me add this: this game feels brutal as fuck at times. Like when roaming around with each other, you'll sometimes see your friend go down in a hail of fire and it's surprisingly tense even just to watch. We have a couple videos Chris put together with us playing bits of the game (very poorly).

[video=youtube_share;vBK_oljpxTs]http://youtu.be/vBK_oljpxTs[/video]

3. Prude

Staff Member

[video=youtube_share;q_L2aBIAf8o]http://youtu.be/q_L2aBIAf8o[/video]

4. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Oh fuck yeah, havent playing some Insurgency in a while.

5. Succ

Succ Babby

6. Gauze

Gauze Fucking Gauze

This game looks INCREDIBLY easy to hack on, based on the lack of stuff that the player is allowed to see.

7. Prude

Staff Member

I've not encountered a hacker (or at least, one obviously hacking) in this game so far. I think the game has enforced VAC stuff behind it.

8. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Did anyone end up getting this? Or was it just people who already had it that played it?

9. Prude

Staff Member

I dunno if anyone did. We only got around to actually playing it like one night, but we did have a load of fun when we did.

10. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Chris, Stuber, and I had some good times in Insurgency last night, heres the VODS. Ill try and find the exact parts where shit was hella funny.

[video=youtube;EGm9tGNvAp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGm9tGNvAp8[/video]

11. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Part 2:

[video=youtube;HCNRLFxjJrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCNRLFxjJrM[/video]

12. Prude

Staff Member

At 43 minutes in the first video, there's quick buildup to a great moment were like 4 of us tear up the same dude.

And the entire second video is great once Chris starts running around flailing and muttering faux-Engrish into his mic the whole round. For some reason his voice was more quiet further away on my end, probably because we were on different squads (despite being on the same team) - I think separate squads don't use the same "radio" so voice chat uses proximity, which is a shame because only hearing him as he ran close by made it even funnier. I also don't think you can hear that Mako or whatever dude as well on your end due to that. I'm fond of the twitch-reaction no-scope at like 8:50. Also 16:50 when Chris goes on a knife hunt and then the pubbie loses his shit.

13. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Also, at 45 minutes in the first video is the most annoying sound in the world that got me kicked from the server

14. Pigeon

Pigeon Director of Marketing

*tips hat*

15. Taylor

Taylor #1 Shuten Fan
    Staff Member

Insurgency is 50% off this weekend